Part 1 of the 2023 AVICC Resolutions Disposition included five resolutions that were considered by the Resolutions Committee to be regional in nature. Four of these resolutions (R1, R3, R4, and R5) were endorsed by AVICC members at the 2023 AVICC AGM and Convention on April 15, 2023. These endorsed regionally-specific resolutions will not be forwarded to UBCM for consideration at their Annual Convention. Rather these resolutions will remain with AVICC where they may be actioned. At the May 12, 2023 AVICC Executive meeting, the Executive considered the regional resolutions that were endorsed at the AVICC convention to determine next steps.
The sponsors of R3, R4 and R5 have been informed that their resolutions would be conveyed to the Province of BC, and to the Government of Canada (R4 only), based on the enactment clauses in the resolutions. Minister meetings have been requested at the 2023 UBCM Convention on these matters.
On May 31, 2023 the following letters were sent from President Cote:
- R3: Watershed Security Strategy and Fund: to Minister Cullen, MLA
- R4: E&N Land Grant Biodiversity and Restoration: to Minister Heyman, MLA
- R4: E&N Land Grant Biodiversity and Restoration: to Minister Guilbeault, MP
- R5: Recapitalization of Island Coastal Economic Trust: to Minister Bailey, MLA
The sponsor for R1: “Vancouver Island Housing Plan – Responding to the Homelessness Crisis” has been contacted by President Cote for further discussion.
UPDATE: The AVICC Executive and members were granted a meeting with Parliamentary Secretary for Watershed Restoration, Fin Donnelly at the UBCM Convention on the matters of R3 and R4. The AVICC Executive also participated in meetings on the matter of R5. Further information about AVICC Activities at UBCM have been posted on the AVICC Website.
- 2023-09-20 Letter from AVICC President Cote to Premier Eby on the matter of ICET Recapitalization
- 2023-10-17 Letter from RDN Chair, Vanessa Craig, on the matter of E & N Land Grant Biodiversity
- 2023-11-30 Response from Parliamentary Secretary Donnelly relating to the September 21st meeting at the 2023 UBCM Convention.